I have put together a list that I think is representative of the key US military UAV’s. When you are limited to 10 spots you do leave some out (like Northrop Grumman’s Hunter and Aerovironments Wasp) and did lump General Atomics Predator’s together as a family. I am mainly just going to list the UAV’s with photo’s and include the manufacturer’s website where you can get more info. All info is in the public domain.
A couple of really good resources I use to investigate global UAV applications are noted below:
- Shephard’s Media – Military Unmanned Systems Handbook. They now also have a Commercial Unmanned Systems Handbook. As of this writing, it isn’t available yet. I think it will be available fall of 2017 at an upcoming commercial UAV trade show.
- Armada International Compendium Unmanned Systems. This comes out in FEB and there is always a pull-out in the center with most of the major global UAV systems.
The UAV’s are just noted from smallest to largest (not based on popularity).
#1: Aerovironment’s RQ-11B Raven®
#2: Aerovironment’s RQ-20B Puma™ AE
#3: Boeing/Insitu’s Scan Eagle
#4 Textron Unmanned Systems Aerosonde Mk4.7
#5 Boeing/Insitu’s Integrator & RQ-21A Blackjack
#6: Textron Unmanned Systems RQ-7Bv2 Shadow 200
#7 Northrop Grumman MQ-8 Fire Scout
#8 General Atomics Aeronautical Predator Family
#9 Northrop Grumman x47B UCAS
#10 Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk
Key UAV News for the Week:
- FreeWave Technologies new rugged radio for UAS
- Aurora signs $499 million Air Force Contract: Will Support The ASAPTR Program.
- UK Palestine activists face prison over Elbit protest
- GA-ASI chasing Avenger sale to international customer
Industry Events for September:
- Thunderdrone Tech Expo, Tampa, FL – USA, SEP 5-8. http://www.sofwerx.org/thunderdrone/
- Interdrone-The International Drone Conference and Expo, Las Vegas, NV-USA, SEP 6-8. http://www.interdrone.com/
- DSEi, London, UK, SEP 12-15. https://www.dsei.co.uk/#/
Quote for the week:
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity” – Albert Einstein.
UAV Propulsion Tech is unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) hardware solution provider of propulsion, servo, autopilot, rescue/recovery parachutes, electric turbofans, pneumatic launchers, capacitive liquid level sensors, engine sensors and gyro-stabilized EO/IR gimbal solutions. Click on the HOME link above or go to www.uavpropulsiontech.com for more info.