Orbital is based in Perth, Western Australia and has a unique air-assisted direct injection system (FlexDI) that has been used in the consumer market to reduce exhaust emissions on 2-stroke outboard, scooter, and personal water craft applications. It has also been evaluated on 4-stroke automotive applications by global auto OEM’s and several papers have been published by SAE highlighting the benefits of Orbital DI over other direct injection technologies. There are currently over 800,000 engines in the consumer market with this technology so the base hardware and control systems have been proven in the field making them very reliable. The FlexDI technology is also used on defense outboard and UAV applications to enable operation on heavy fuels such as Jet A, JP5, and JP8. This technology has been flying on an SUAS application in theater since 2012 achieving 60,000+ flight hours. Orbital produces engines in Perth, Australia and plans to expand production of their UAV engines in the US to support current customers. Orbital can develop a custom engine solution for your UAV application to meet package, weight, reliability and fuel consumption requirements.
- Orbital Website
- Orbital Capabilities and UAS Technology Presentation
- Orbital SUAS Brochure
- Orbital AIR-LAND-SEA Brochure
- Orbital FlexECU Brochure
- Technical Paper titled “The Application of Air-Assist Direct Injection for Spark-Ignited Heavy Fuel 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Engines” presented at AUVSI 2005 and SAE SETC 2005.
- Orbital’s Propulsion Development Capabilities (Website)
- Click on link below for Orbital’s supplier profile on UST’s website.
For more info, please contact Bob Schmidt PH: +1 810 441 1457