US Commercial Drone Conferences:
My UAV experience has mainly been with defense applications but I am trying to also market my products and services into the commercial drone market (agriculture, police, oil/gas, utilities, etc.). I did a blog post in May on AUVSI which has to be the largest UAV conference in the world. I attend and exhibit at this event (for the last 10+ years) with the global companies I represent here in the US but it has a stronger defense focus than commercial (although they are getting more commercial exhibitors). Every other day I am getting emails about new commercial drone conferences in the US. I thought I would summarize these and provide links if you want to get more info. I am trying to figure out which one I should exhibit UAV Propulsion Tech at this year to market engines, servo’s, autopilots and parachutes for the commercial market. I haven’t made a decision yet.
Here is the summary I put together. Let me know if I missed any:
- Ohio UAS Conference – Dayton, OH – AUG 25, 26 – Quite a few exhibitors with several defense companies. http://ohiouasconference.com/ $2200 for 10’x10′ booth and 2 passes
- InterDrone – The International Drone Conference & Expo – Las Vegas, NV – SEP 9-11. It says it is the largest commercial drone show in North America but it seems everyone is claiming this. They also only note 80 exhibitors so seems small for the “largest”. www.interdrone.com $2995 for 10’x10′ exhibit package.
- UAS Summit & Expo – Grand Forks, ND – SEP 21-23. This one is interesting because there is a UAS test site in Grand Forks so there is a big UAV focus. Also, several defense contractors have or will be setting up offices here. It will have both military and commercial focus (including agriculture). www.theuassummit.com $1,695 for 10’x10′ exhibit package but not many exhibitors.
- Commercial UAV Expo – Las Vegas, OCT 5-7. This one looks pretty good because there are some UAV companies and some of my competitors. www.expouav.com $2150 for 10’x10′ exhibit package.
- Drone World Expo – San Jose, CA – NOV 17-18. $3,495 for 10’x10′ exhibit package. Commercial UAV focus (photography and agriculture). http://www.droneworldexpo.com/
- UAS TAAC – Santa Anna Pueblo, NM – DEC 7-10. Commercial and defense focused. $1000 for 8×10 booth plus you have to register $700. https://taac.psl.nmsu.edu/
- International Drone Expo – Los Angeles, CA- DEC 11-12. The one also looks good with over 125 exhibitors. This group is also supported by the Tesla Foundation. You can read more about this at: www.intdroneexpo.com $2100 exhibit package for 10’x10′.
- Unmanned Systems Institute 2015 Conference – San Diego, CA – DEC 14-15. Appears to be more government and academic focused. www.usiorg.com. Least expensive exhibit package is $4,000 for 10’x10′ with two attendee passes.
Key UAV News for the Week:
- Army addressing a new emerging threat: Drones as IED’s. http://defensesystems.com/articles/2015/07/10/army-drones-as-ieds-defense.aspx
- UAV Drone market for commercial worth 1.27 billion by 2020. http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/08/uav-drone-market-for-commercial-worth-1-27-billion-by-2020/
- GoPro offers new Hero4 Session. http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-session/CHDHS-101.html
- Farms eager for drones, but most can’t legally fly them. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/farmers-eager-drones-legally-fly-32230997
Industry Events for July:
- 592M-NAVAIR Luncheon featuring Mr. Sean Burke, Program Manager, Persistent Maritime Unmanned Aircraft Systems Program Office, Patuxent River Naval Station, July 15th http://www.ndia.org/meetings/592M/Pages/default.aspx
- Intel Oregon International Air Show, Hilsboro, OR – July 17-19. http://www.oregonairshow.com/
- EAA Airventure Oskosh air show, Oshkosh, WI – July 20-26. http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure
Quote for the week:
“The problem with competition is that it takes away the requirement to set your own path, to invent your own method, to find a new way.” – Seth Godin.